PDA

Xem đầy đủ chức năng : The happy new year wish?

Hoa Trà
13-02-2010, 09:24 AM
How can we change some of Vietnamese sentences's wishes to English? Just like:

"Chúc ông bà sống lâu trăm tuổi"
Can I say: "Wish you live 100 years old long"

"Chúc anh chị khoẻ mạnh, vạn sự như ý"
Can I say: "Wish you always healthy and happy"

This is a question that I want an answer because I'm not sure how I can tell my teacher clearly that she can understand what I mean. By the way, "Tết" can translate to "..."? May be New Year Festival in Vietnam?

silver
13-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Tết is known as Chinese New Year, or Lunar New Year.. You can further explain by telling them that the Chinese celebrates the first day of their year a few weeks after New Year's Eve, according to their lunisolar calendar. Basically they calculate the days based on the aspects of both moon and sun, that's why it's different from the Gregorian calendar, which numbers the years followed the incarnation of.. err, Christ..

"Chúc anh chị khoẻ mạnh, vạn sự như ý"

I don't know if there is any direct translations or phrases for that, but if it were me, i would say

Wish you plenty of health in the new year, and may good fortune guide your hand.

"vạn sự như ý" can be translated into:

_Hope everything go your way.
_May things go right for you.
_Let things happen by chance, and may you be the luckiest of men (lol i made it up, yes i know its cheesy)

^^

lu_hehe
14-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Hope you will get/achieve/attain everything you've ever wished for.

Hope grandpa and grandma will enjoy a long and fulfilled life with us.

...Very plain, I know :D:D

Hoa Trà
15-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Wish you plenty of health in the new year, and may good fortune guide your hand.

Hope grandpa and grandma will enjoy a long and fulfilled life with us.

I think these 2 sentences are good ^^ and I like your explanation about New Year day, silver

Thanks guys :D Because this person asked me, he lives with host family in USA and he want to tell them about our Vietnamese New Year. I hope what you guys tell me up there will help him a lot. Again, thank you very much ^^ and Happy New Year guys <333