PDA

Xem đầy đủ chức năng : When you immortal...

KenX
22-11-2009, 01:31 PM
What would you do when you immortal?

This is a very interesting question that I asked myself since years ago. Then yesterday I found a meaningful story about it - The story of Dorrian Gray, an immortal man. (In fact, it's the summary of "The Picture of Dorian Gray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray)" novel).

http://blog.screenweek.it/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/portrait_of_dorian_gray_by_mercuralis.jpg
Dorian Gray is described as an extremely handsome individual whose innocence and good looks are the definition of his personality. Lord Henry Wotton's thoughts of Dorian as he first lays eyes on him express this clearly:

...he was certainly wonderfully handsome, with his finely-curved scarlet lips, his frank blue eyes, his crisp gold hair. There was something in his face that made one trust him at once. All the candour of youth was there, as well as all youth's passionate purity. One felt that he had kept himself unspotted from the world.

Until Dorian meets Lord Henry, he does not think much about anything, especially his own life and his good looks. Lord Henry convinces Dorian that his looks are in fact his most important virtue and at the same time Lord Henry reminds Dorian that his looks will disappear as he grows older. Dorian takes this conversation very seriously and becomes aware and extremely worried about the fact that his youth is not eternal.

When Dorian sees the finished portrait Basil had painted of him, he determines:

...I shall grow old, and horrible, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June.... If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that—for that—I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!

By saying that Dorian sells his soul, much like the title character in Goethe's famous play Faust, his desire for eternal youth soon comes true and the image in the picture ages instead of him.

Possessing his desired youth, Dorian's personality begins to change drastically, all due to his relationship with Lord Henry. Dorian's metamorphosis is revealed the night he tells Sybil Vane, an actress with whom he is in love, that his love for her died simply due to her terrible performance as Juliet that evening.

The further death of his innocence transpires as he engages in a hedonistic lifestyle, like Lord Henry. He completely transforms himself into a different person and his personality changes. When Basil sees him again he cannot believe that it is the same Dorian he used to paint and immediately begins to try to help Dorian heal himself. Dorian becomes fully corrupt when he then murders Basil. With that act Dorian discards all hope of being saved and chooses to continue his corrupt lifestyle.

Although Dorian does not physically age, and his sins are not apparent on his face (it is Oscar Wilde's intent to show that the face of a person directly reflects his personality), they are all fully expressed on the face of the portrait. This makes Dorian aware of how terrible his life really is, but he does not share his secret with others.

At the very end of the novel, Dorian realizes how wrong he was to have followed the path set for him by Lord Henry, saying to him "Henry, I have done too many dreadful things in my life. I am not going to do any more." Indeed, Dorian desperately tries to change his lifestyle but, after all the terrible things he's done, it is too late. His attempts at reform are selfish and superficial and ultimately only make the portait more hideous.

In the end, Dorian decides to kill his sins and his past by destroying the portrait, but in doing so he kills himself instead. The last sentence in the novel describes the finding of his body near the portrait "When they entered, they found hanging upon the wall a splendid portrait of their master as they had last seen him, in all the wonder of his exquisite youth and beauty. Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was."

lu_hehe
22-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd rather kill myself than to be immortal. It's a horrible nightmare, indeed.

Life is boring to the point of depressing, and I often wonder why people desperately cling onto it. Just live out your life like a candle, duh.

KenX
23-11-2009, 05:15 AM
This man never get old and can end his life anytime he wants, is it enviable? :D :D

lu_hehe
23-11-2009, 11:20 AM
What's the point if you know your true face and see it everyday?

If you could delude yourself into thinking that you're always always young, life might be good.

But after all, your beloved ones will die or your love for them will die, either way you will feel life is meaningless and boring.

Sometimes I wish I had more time so I could accomplish more, but as a rule, anything excess defeats the purpose of life. Life has meaning only because it is short.

Ngày Hôm Qua
23-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, cool. If I am immortal, I will keep my birth certificate so that I can be known as the oldest person of all time in the next century. I will keeep my journal, and then sell it later. I would be a rich guy ever. But wait a minute! Do I have to work all my long life? Do I need to eat to survive?....

If I dónt need to do anything and live forever, why not. I lose of my beloved people, but I will have other beloved.

lu_hehe
23-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh, but they are not from your own generation. They have their own values, their own beliefs and their own ways of thinking. Even though you might look young, your heart has already grown old. And fat chance an old guy could get along well with young people.

And just when you know how devastating it will be to see your beloved person die, do you think you'll have the courage to open your heart once more?

Well, I'm pretty sure living forever is gonna be tiring, duh....

Ngày Hôm Qua
23-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, but they are not from your own generation. They have their own values, their own beliefs and their own ways of thinking. Even though you might look young, your heart has already grown old. And fat chance an old guy could get along well with young people.

And just when you know how devastating it will be to see your beloved person die, do you think you'll have the courage to open your heart once more?

Well, I'm pretty sure living forever is gonna be tiring, duh....

By reading your response, I guess you are a girl. Yeah. living is actually a punishment, but who don't want to live longer? All of us have a common thing that we are scared of death.

lu_hehe
23-11-2009, 08:57 PM
More than death I'm scared of pains, esp physical ones :D:D

P.S: That "I guess you are a girl" line sounds pretty familiar to me, so I searched a bit. Hey, in that "if u could forever....????" topic, your reply was different, wasn't it?

silver
27-11-2009, 05:51 AM
people can never get enough of vampires and any other magical beings of the like can they?

if there's no death there's no life.. but then i do agree that lives are supposed to be longer. an average human's lifespan is around 50 to 70 years, and we only use approximately 10% of our brain capacity and capability..

if we were born with such wonderful design whose ability can go beyond imagination, doesnt that mean we humans are meant to live a whole lot longer.. like.. >450 years more if i get the maths right?

thats pretty much forever to me XD