PDA

Xem đầy đủ chức năng : let share your experience of living in a new country

Ngày Hôm Qua
22-05-2009, 05:28 PM
First, let me introduce myself. I have been in the U.S for a few years. The time is not long enough for me to understand American life, but somehow I begin to accept this country lifestyle. I personally do not like living here. It is kind of boring but challenging.

Anyways, My first feeling about America is that it is amazing country which was built with high- technology. I was scared and excited at the first time on freeway 101. I was bored and nostalgic at the first year. There are a lot of things to say, but after 4 years, street, houses, and weather etc became more familiar. However, I still struggle with English. What a shame! I speak English badly with heavy accent as bad as wrong intonation. I believe language is the most difficult thing we need to overcome before doing anything else.

How about you, let share some thoughts.

letue
22-05-2009, 05:35 PM
someone said to me :"Tue, i love your accent."
so i think you dont have to worrry about it, just try your bést to speak English in properly way.
that's all ^.^

pe rua con
23-05-2009, 11:14 PM
hj, i want to go to singapore to study, but my parents don't let me go, hjx, so i am now living in VN. About your problems, i can show you some way like :
_ you can talk to your neighbor much more
_ you can listen Enlish music much more
_ you can often watch program in English
I thjnk somethinh like that can help you a little^^

Ngày Hôm Qua
24-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Yes, thanks for your advice. I have listened and spoken English everyday since I moved to the U.S, but my accent is still suck. It doesn't matter how much I can try, but it is that my limitation. When you get older, your brain will work slower. I am not old, but I will never be able to speak English correctly because I learned to speak English late.

pe rua con
24-05-2009, 02:35 AM
i am not old too, i am 15 years old

letue
25-05-2009, 05:57 PM
lolz.....we re too old to change our accent.... so just keep it ^.^
our accents ảre cute btw :laugh:

i am not old too, i am 15 years old

em gái bé bỏng :hug:
yes , u can learn how to listen , write and speak English
but ur vietnamese accent still affect somehow to ur speaking skill :rang:

~Lolita~
26-05-2009, 07:59 AM
You should be proud of your accent, it reminds us of who we are and where we from :)

Ngày Hôm Qua
27-05-2009, 10:07 AM
You know what many people couldn't recognize my Vietnamese accent but other like Indonesian or Thai , or Chinese.... They told me that my accent was different to Vietnamese accent. It is quite interesting, but however, I need to improve it.

Thanks guys! àfter reading your comments, I realize not only I have this problem. Why should I be so concerned about it?

okanobee
28-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I've been in the US for almost 5 years. And I am definitely still working on my English, especially my speaking skill. So don't feel bad about that cuz you're not the only one who has that problem, friend :). My only advice is "be optimistic, think positive". Things will get better if you know how to look at it in the right way. Good luck to you !!!

Mystery
12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I have been in the United States for over 10 years and still have people complaining about my accent. The most important thing is to take people's comments in a positive way. We will always have an accent but there are classes that you can take to improve the pronunciation of certain words so we sound clearer even with the accent.

Best of luck to you!

StevenDinh
24-06-2009, 11:07 AM
May i ask one quéstion, Cho_Mot_Tinh_Yeu: How old are you right now?

Hẻre is my experience, for the first year i came to the US, I played with both Vietnamese and other country friends. But it sêem like i play, chat, and study with friends who doesn't speak Viet more than Viet's friends. This is my advice for all of you, if you want to improve ur English or ur accent, I recommend you should play with Latino, European, Japanese, Filipino,..whatever they are they'll help you improve your English alot.

Ngày Hôm Qua
24-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I going to 23, bro. not young any more, right. I have many friends, but do not play or talk with them very often. Actually, I have more foreign friends than Vietnamese. Not like in high school ỏ middle school, friends in college are just friends. Because we are all busy, we have very less time to talk or hang out together. That is a problem. Anyways, Thank your for ur advice.

Can I ask you 2 questions:

Where are you living, and how old are u?

StevenDinh
25-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Well I'm 17 and I live in US

I know, that is the problem for all the "Colleger", they don't have so many friends to hang out or to chat with like when they were in HS.....but kêep trying to make friend, it will help you alot once u have a friend or bést friend that doesn't speak Viet......( I've a friend and he's Indian, we were chatting to each other everyday *we being friend like this for almost 3 yrs*, and we work together at the library.)

P/S: 23 is not an old age to me....^_^ v

[Deleted]
25-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I recommend you should play with Latino, European, Japanese, Filipino,..whatever they are they'll help you improve your English alot.
How amazing :D
I have some classmates who is Japanese, Korean, and European but my Eng skill cannot improve. I tried really hard to get them, especially with Korean. For me, talking with Mexican will be better !

One thing, just keep practice and dont be shy ! Just talk and talk without thinking - dont try to hard to find the word !

StevenDinh
26-06-2009, 08:56 AM
u are right [Deleted], just keep talk and talk, doesn't matter that what are u talking about.........
One thing everyone should remember when u speak English, dont try to translate it into Viet, because our brain is not fast enough to do that..and it will take a lot of time.

P/s: I've a friend, and she is Korean, and she freaking mean (but anyway, we still friend ^_^ v )

THIÊN TỬ
27-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes, thanks for your advice. I have listened and spoken English everyday since I moved to the U.S, but my accent is still suck. It doesn't matter how much I can try, but it is that my limitation. When you get older, your brain will work slower. I am not old, but I will never be able to speak English correctly because I learned to speak English late.

what's wrong with your accent? I think you should appreciated it than keep on complained about it. You have the accent because you speak more than one language. I guarranty to you that anyone that can speak 2 or more language will have the same experience. It's just indirectly show everybody a message that "this girl is special because she can speak two or more languages":D

If you want to practice to have less accent when you talk, try to talk with real american people and watch how they move their mouth and practice it as much as possible:D goodluck to you. Don't worry or shame about your accent, you should proud of it instead.

THIÊN TỬ
27-06-2009, 05:43 PM
if you want to improve ur English or ur accent, I recommend you should play with Latino, European, Japanese, Filipino,..whatever they are they'll help you improve your English alot.

I don't see your point here:D did you mean those who born in the USA or those just come to the USA??? I believe it's easier to play with people who just come to the USA like us cause we share the same experience. However, if we were playing with those who just come to the country, they still make the same mistake that we did so learn the language from them is not a good idea. Try to talk and learn from those who live here natively:D will be better but do not tend to use slang words because it may be ok to talk but absolutely not alright to write for an academic essay paper

Ngày Hôm Qua
28-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't see your point here:D did you mean those who born in the USA or those just come to the USA??? I believe it's easier to play with people who just come to the USA like us cause we share the same experience. However, if we were playing with those who just come to the country, they still make the same mistake that we did so learn the language from them is not a good idea. Try to talk and learn from those who live here natively:D will be better but do not tend to use slang words because it may be ok to talk but absolutely not alright to write for an academic essay paper

Absolutely right. speaking affects writing very much.
I remember, at the first semester in college, I úsed to study with many native friends. It was a crazy time. I could'nt hear what they said, but because I were helping them doing math at that time, I had a lot of time to talk with them. I learned a lot from them. Especially, I learned how to feel English.

After that I met more 'ESL' and Vietnamese friends. I still have chance to particle English, but the problem is my friends do not correct my mistakes or they also have the same problem as me.

Now I learn hơ to speak from my nephew, an 8 years old boy. His pronunciation is super clear in this age.

Kids correct my mistake and teach me vocabulary. Wow, it sounds weird, but they teach me a lot slang which I cánt find in any book.

THIÊN TỬ
28-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Kids correct my mistake and teach me vocabulary. Wow, it sounds weird

who say kids can't teach elder people:lol: I had learned a lot from children. By the way, no matter how you try, your accent will still be there. :D However, practice make perfect good luck to you:clap:

[Deleted]
28-06-2009, 05:55 PM
OMG - I love you guy so much !
Keep talking and keep sharing those good things ! :huglove:

Learning slang is also perfectly good for us because teenagers are using slang all the time - and of course, we all want people look at us like a American teenager ! Im so sick about raciest sometimes !

THIÊN TỬ
28-06-2009, 06:02 PM
;4510293']OMG - I love you guy so much !

Learning slang is also perfectly good for us because teenagers are using slang all the time - and of course, we all want people look at us like a American teenager ! Im so sick about raciest sometimes !

:lol: you say you want people to look at you as an american teenager?:lol: i think that a raciest right there girl:hihi: you try to wipe out your identity as a vietnamese:D that goes against our culture which request us to remember who we are and live like we are "con rồng cháu tiên":D sometime I just wornder why we can't fly like dragon if people say we are "con rồng cháu tiên":hihi:

[Deleted]
28-06-2009, 06:08 PM
You didn't get my point ! I meant just outside and the way we're using Eng in our life ! I didn't mean that we have to change all inside and outside because of life !
We're the one who changing the life - not the one who changing by life :sr:

One question 4 u TT : How to live like "con rồng cháu tiên"? 50 much go to mountain - 50 much go to beach :phu:
For me - I dont have to live like that - just live my life :sr:

P/s: No fighting - just my opinion :hug:

Ngày Hôm Qua
28-06-2009, 07:20 PM
;4510293']OMG - I love you guy so much !

I'm interested in your comment. How old are u anyways? and how long have u bêen in the U.S.?

Why do u want to look like American teens?

*♥*Ma Bư Mập*♥*
29-06-2009, 08:27 AM
English is the most important.
Men, the first time i came U.S , i dont know what i should do.

[Deleted]
29-06-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm interested in your comment. How old are u anyways? and how long have u bêen in the U.S.?

Why do u want to look like American teens?

Well thanks :D
Im 20 years old and only have few months living in the U.S. I want to "look" like American teen because it gonna be easier for me to communicate with people. Sometimes, people just want to talk to you by the way you look. Of course I want to keep my Asian's things and I proud for being Asian, but i swear that sometimes, you much question yourself why you're Asian ! =)) If not, you are SUPER :sr: Life's suck sometimes right :sr:

Ngày Hôm Qua
29-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, you should proud of being Asian and in specific Vietnamese. in general, Asians are good in math, science and hard study. I dónt know where u live, but I guess few Asians are living there, right? Ì you live in San Jose, Florida or LẠ you must feel different. If you see Chinese and Vietnamese New Year's parade in San JOse, Oakland and San Francisco, you will know what I'm trying to say

You will never look like American. The bést way to make Americans respect you is gaining your knowledge which bring you to a wider thought á well as higher social class.

I ask my self why I'm not smart and taller like Whites, but I'm happy to be an Asian guy although I experienced ethnic problems.

In school, móst ofmy teachers who are native bỏrn ( no matter what ethnic they are: White, Chinese, or Vietnamese etc) are always willing to help you.

You know what the suck is that we came from a poor country. Móst of Vietnamese are working jobs ( cleaning, cashier,...) although in Vietnam they are professional. We come here to work and built up our knowledge not invest to this country. Therefore they ghet from us less but contribute to us more. Now, what can we comment about them? They have the rights to feel uncomfortable with us. Hơwever, in my living city, it is Ok

If you see how White people respect Koreans and Japanese, you will understand why and how.... and what we must do.

peace and good luck to you. You will learn more bout Americana social life as well as Asian American history. You will see how fast Asian economy have grown and changed the American social life.

I believe you will see We ARE COOL to BE ASian

m1zz.n4ughty
29-06-2009, 09:47 PM
well the first time i been to aus i don't even know an english words lolz so_funny:
I live in aus almost 4 year...:hihi:
I love to be asian because that where I come from... Asian Pride :so_funny:
Aus peoples have an accent when they talk so it abit hard to hear. :dance:
Some slang, word are different to america.
I love Ausstralia peaceful country....:huglove:

[Deleted]
30-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Of course you never know how much i proud of being Vietnamese, because I know we're smarter, nicer, know how to behave, and so much more...
Racist? Not really - just because they're jealous !

I said just sometimes, I know im a girl and you're a gentlemen - you're stronger and of course, guys always know how to control their life the way they wanted. Not easy but easier !

P/s: I dont know why but the 1st time I saw your nick "Cho mot tinh yeu" I thought that you're a girl :D
Thanks 4your reply - It's like a lesson 4me !

Ngày Hôm Qua
30-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Oh, please dónt say it is a lesson. It is my experience. I still need to learn more. I am still green in this country. You can see that many mistakes I made in my writing and that the way I wrote was very Vietnamese. How long can I adopt to the U.S life? 5, 10 more years or ever.

I disagree with you one thing. I dónt think We are smarter than other foreigners. We are better at some thins but worse at other things. For an example, we are good at learning and ' coppying', but in creativity we are very bad... very very bad. look back our history, how many significant inventions came from our county? how many real scientists we have. Look at our poor economy in Vietnam and our Vietnamese community in America, I wonder we are really smarter than other foreigners.

There is a letter you should search and read: letter to my Vietnamese Cousin by Andrew Lam.

Thank all you guys for sharing your experience and comment.

Doode
02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
My goodness, I enjoy reading your guys' comments a lot. Man I haven't seen such so much of good experiences like this. You guys are amazing!

Our Vietnamese are not that smart, but Japanese are trillion technological than Americans. Most of the rare things made in US are comes from Japan. We Asian looks the same, that's why no matter where we born, which country we come from, by look at your face and know you're part of the Asian group. They still give you a credit of the smartest one.

We good at calculating - they good at examining. That's why our country still poor in economies, and Americans got in good shape of controlling but they still can have their own freedom.

I love to speak with African American peoples, cause I like to use slang words. Even though my writing is really bad, but I feel more comfortable and joyful when I used slang, so I can fooling around and acted like an nigger. Just tried to be cool, to me which is easier to make people laugh you know.

I know your English won't worth it, but just go ahead and do whatever you feel like it. Don't be shy or afraid when your pronunciation is not that good. Learn what you can, be brave with everything, things will getting better in your life really soon.

So - just let it be!

Giun Đất
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Our Vietnamese are not that smart, but Japanese are trillion technological than Americans. Most of the rare things made in US are comes from Japan. We Asian looks the same, that's why no matter where we born, which country we come from, by look at your face and know you're part of the Asian group. They still give you a credit of the smartest one.

We good at calculating - they good at examining. That's why our country still poor in economies, and Americans got in good shape of controlling but they still can have their own freedom.

So - just let it be!

I am so crazy about this country. Sorry if I am being disregardful, but...all of my neighbors in Vn r just so very funny :haha: They r masters in mocking others.

I don't agree. At a certain point, every country identities have their own strength and weakness. My teacher tells me to travel more, because he thinks I will collect what is good for me.
There I live, people r kind of...boring. They don't dare to break rules. They think I am not trustworthy because...I protect my friend, not the rules. They judge everything from a scale/standard of living. And, well, it is very boring. Many teens commit suicide here because they aren't obliged to think responsibly.

And, I just love Vietnamese. We really know how to mislead people, just the way we want. Lol, it's an art :haha: In other word, we r really...cunning <<< Sorry for being disregardful. In addition, I like our humor, too.
Who says Vietnamese isn't smarter than other identities? Blame the tough education in Vn. The Vietnamese students here own the best respect from teachers and partners! Who says we r bad at creating? We can think outside the box; it's just that we get no stimulate to express ourselves. We r stimulate to fit in the situation. We r ambitious. We have a clear goal.

Why should I discuss about Politics and such. Haiz, it is sad to witness, that the education in Vn is in the wrong track. Poor teens. They want a change too much :D :D

I am getting crazed! My lil sis is touching my arm every time she wants to ask sth. Arrrrggggg! Her touches r creepy. Worse than a Horror film, ever! :cry:

@cho_mot_tinh_yeu: Wow, your nick is so dreamy!
As I said before, it is that we have no genes for the creating part. Look at the history of dictation. A dictator just has to control everything. People have to fear him, yet he appears like a God.

I have a little tip for you. If you use our "funny" accent in a exaggerated way, they will think you r joking. The following time, try your hardest to put strength in z, s, t and j <<< They will find you a funny and tolerable guy.
You won't turn into a clown, if you use the jokes wisely. Be serious and cooperative when it needs. I often make jokes about myself when I make mistakes.

@Delete: Seems to be I have found a soul-match <<< :so_funny: You won't be surprised if I spend my admire towards you, right? Jk

Learning to fit in other situations is good. Very good. You make people feel at ease, because they find someone "alike" them. They will like you. They will listen to you.

Laugh is the shortest way to a person's heart, isn't it?