Trang 1/2 12 cuốicuối
kết quả từ 1 tới 8 trên 14

Ðề tài: Learning English by Fairy Tales

Tham gia ngày
    Oct 2009
    Bài gởi

Default Learning English by Fairy Tales

Learning English by... fairy tales? LOL

Recently, I'm participating in an English program to learn speaking and pronunciation, which I'm pretty bad. The teacher here is very good at teaching, he also explained to me why my speaking as well as listening is not as good as writing and reading. Actually, not only me but almost students, who learn English in Vietnam, have this trouble.

The reason is that we didn't learn English in a natural way.

So, what is a natural way? And how did we learn? :cr::cr:

Let's look at the way a child learn a language:

1 year old: Listen to others > Repeat

6 year old: Go to school > Reading A B C > Writing

This called the 'natural way' because everybody does that to learn the mother language (English, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc.). It's the easiest and most effective method.

And this is how most of people learned:

10 years old (maybe more or less): Reading what the teacher has written on the blackboard > eagerly write down to notebook.

22 years old in my case, or even older: Realize that I'm speaking a SH*T English , find a good program, learn how to speak, how to listen.

You got it?

So, I want to start learning English as a child, don't know how to read/write, only listening and repeat. I've found many audio books, at last, I chose Fairy Tale, due to the fact that, it's very funny, the reader's intonation's really smooth and... every kid listens to fairy tales.
    Actually, in most case, it is not the ordinary fairytale, but modern version, because it's new and more interesting.

I'll try to keep posting 2 stories per week. This is for my learning but I think it's good for everyone. So I welcome all of you 'learn' with me and really appreciate if you contribute more stories to this topic.
    thay đổi nội dung bởi: KenX, 12-03-2011 lúc 03:00 PM
    Have u known that most used alphabet “A” doesnt appear in spellings of 1 to 999?
    It just appears for the first time in 1000 & continues.
    Moral: Success requires patience & faith.

Tham gia ngày
    Oct 2009
    Bài gởi

First Story: [The Princess and the Pea]

This little gem of a story by Hans Christian Andersen reveals the ultimate test to find out whether or not a girl is a true princess. It is short, but sweet, and an enduring favourite. The English text is the Andrew Lang version, from his Yellow Fairy book, first published in 1894.

---------------------------------------------
    The method of learning by audio book is that you just listening .
    There will be new words that you cannot understand, but don't worry. Just follow those steps:
    1. Try to understand the whole story at first.
    2. After understand the meaning of the story, you can listen again, this time you should try to get the idea every sentences. This is hard, but after a long time, you'll get familiar with it. It's always good if you can write down everything you heard.
    3. There is text-version below, you should only read it to compare with what you wrote on step 2.
    4. Last but not least, after get enough listening, you should practice speaking by repeating exactly what the read said. Try to learn the way they pronoun and
    their intonation as well.
    ---------------------------------------------

--- Text-version ---
    There was once upon a time a Prince who wanted to marry a Princess, but she must be a true Princess. So he traveled through the whole world to find one, but there was always something against each. There were plenty of Princesses, but he could not find out if they were true Princesses. In every case there was some little defect, which showed the genuine article was not yet found. So he came home again in very low spirits, for he had wanted very much to have a true Princess. One night there was a dreadful storm; it thundered and lightened and the rain streamed down in torrents. It was fearful! There was a knocking heard at the Palace gate, and the old King went to open it.

There stood a Princess outside the gate; but oh, in what a sad plight she was from the rain and the storm! The water was running down from her hair and her dress into the points of her shoes and out at the heels again. And yet she said she was a true Princess!

‘Well, we shall soon find that!’ thought the old Queen. But she said nothing, and went into the sleeping-room, took off all the bed-clothes, and laid a pea on the bottom of the bed. Then she put twenty mattresses on top of the pea, and twenty eider-down quilts on the top of the mattresses. And this was the bed in which the Princess was to sleep.

The next morning she was asked how she had slept.

‘Oh, very badly!’ said the Princess. ‘I scarcely closed my eyes all night! I am sure I don’t know what was in the bed. I laid on something so hard that my whole body is black and blue. It is dreadful!’

Now they perceived that she was a true Princess, because she had felt the pea through the twenty mattresses and the twenty eider-down quilts.

No one but a true Princess could be so sensitive.

So the Prince married her, for now he knew that at last he had got hold of a true Princess. And the pea was put into the Royal Museum, where it is still to be seen if no one has stolen it. Now this is a true story.

So Bertie says that’s how you tell a real princess. Sadie says she would never sit on a pea, but still Bertie won’t say that she’s a real princess and now she’s in a bit of a huff. I’m sure she will cheer up soon because she likes Bertie really.
    --- End of text-version ---
    thay đổi nội dung bởi: KenX, 17-03-2011 lúc 04:03 PM
    Have u known that most used alphabet “A” doesnt appear in spellings of 1 to 999?

Tham gia ngày
    Oct 2009
    Bài gởi

Second story:[The Flying Trunk]

There was once a merchant who was so rich that he could have paved the whole street, and perhaps even a little side-street besides, with silver. But he did not do that; for he knew other ways to spend his money. If he spent a shilling he got back a pound, such an excellent businessman was he till he died.

Now his son inherited all this money. He lived very merrily. He went every night to the theatre, made paper kites out of five-pound notes, and played ducks and drakes with sovereigns instead of stones. In this way the money was likely to come soon to an end, and so it did.

This wonderful fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen has an oriental setting and overtones of the Arabian Nights. Like the Arabian Nights, it is really a story within a story. The cast of characters includes a princess in a tower, a box of matches, and an iron pot. Our story-teller, Natasha, has voices for all of them. The hero is himself a story-teller, who makes his way through life by telling tales – not unlike Hans Christian Andersen himself.

This version is from The Pink Fairy Book of Andrew Lang, 1897.

Read by Natasha Lee Lewis. Duration 13.30.

There was once a merchant who was so rich that he could have paved the whole street, and perhaps even a little side-street besides, with silver. But he did not do that; he knew another way of spending his money. If he spent a shilling he got back a florin-such an excellent merchant he was till he died.

Now his son inherited all this money. He lived very merrily; he went every night to the theatre, made paper kites out of five-pound notes, and played ducks and drakes with sovereigns instead of stones. In this way the money was likely to come soon to an end, and so it did.

At last he had nothing left but four shillings, and he had no clothes except a pair of slippers and an old dressing-gown.

His friends did not trouble themselves any more about him; they would not even walk down the street with him.

But one of them who was rather good-natured sent him an old trunk with the message, ‘Pack up!” That was all very well, but he had nothing to pack up, so he got into the trunk himself.

It was an enchanted trunk, for as soon as the lock was pressed it could fly. He pressed it, and away he flew in it up the chimney, high into the clouds, further and further away. But whenever the bottom gave a little creak he was in terror lest the trunk should go to pieces, for then he would have turned a dreadful somersault-just think of it!

In this way he arrived at the land of the Turks. He hid the trunk in a wood under some dry leaves, and then walked into the town. He could do that quite well, for all the Turks were dressed just as he was-in a dressing-gown and slippers.

He met a nurse with a little child.

‘Halloa! you Turkish nurse,’ said he, ‘what is that great castle there close to the town? The one with the windows so high up?’

‘The sultan’s daughter lives there,’ she replied. ‘It is prophesied that she will be very unlucky in her husband, and so no one is allowed to see her except when the sultan and sultana are by.’

‘Thank you,’ said the merchant’s son, and he went into the wood, sat himself in his trunk, flew on to the roof, and crept through the window into the princess’s room.

She was lying on the sofa asleep, and was so beautiful that the young merchant had to kiss her. Then she woke up and was very much frightened, but he said he was a Turkish god who had come through the air to see her, and that pleased her very much.

They sat close to each other, and he told her a story about her eyes. They were beautiful dark lakes in which her thoughts swam about like mermaids. And her forehead was a snowy mountain, grand and shining. These were lovely stories.

Then he asked the princess to marry him, and she said yes at once.

‘But you must come here on Saturday,’ she said, ‘for then the sultan and the sultana are coming to tea with me. They will be indeed proud that I receive the god of the Turks. But mind you have a really good story ready, for my parents like them immensely. My mother likes something rather moral and high-flown, and my father likes something merry to make him laugh.’

‘Yes, I shall only bring a fairy story for my dowry,’ said he, and so they parted. But the princess gave him a sabre set with gold pieces which he could use.

Then he flew away, bought himself a new dressing-gown, and sat down in the wood and began to make up a story, for it had to be ready by Saturday, and that was no easy matter.

When he had it ready it was Saturday.

The sultan, the sultana, and the whole court were at tea with the princess.

He was most graciously received.

‘Will you tell us a story?’ said the sultana; ‘one that is thoughtful and instructive?’

‘But something that we can laugh at,’ said the sultan.

‘Oh, certainly,’ he replied, and began: ‘Now, listen attentively. There was once a box of matches which lay between a tinder-box and an old iron pot, and they told the story of their youth.

‘”We used to be on the green fir-boughs. Every morning and evening we had diamond-tea, which was the dew, and the whole day long we had sunshine, and the little birds used to tell us stories. We were very rich, because the other trees only dressed in summer, but we had green dresses in summer and in winter. Then the woodcutter came, and our family was split up. We have now the task of making light for the lowest people. That is why we grand people are in the kitchen.”

‘”My fate was quite different,” said the iron pot, near which the matches lay.

‘”Since I came into the world I have been many times scoured, and have cooked much. My only pleasure is to have a good chat with my companions when I am lying nice and clean in my place after dinner.”

‘”Now you are talking too fast,” spluttered the fire.

‘”Yes, let us decide who is the grandest!” said the matches.

‘”No, I don’t like talking about myself,” said the pot.

‘”Let us arrange an evening’s entertainment. I will tell the story of my life.

‘”On the Baltic by the Danish shore-”

‘What a beautiful beginning!” said all the plates. “That’s a story that will please us all.”

‘And the end was just as good as the beginning. All the plates clattered for joy.

‘”Now I will dance,” said the tongs, and she danced. Oh! how high she could kick!

‘The old chair-cover in the corner split when he saw her.

‘The urn would have sung but she said she had a cold; she could not sing unless she boiled.

‘In the window was an old quill pen. There was nothing remarkable about her except that she had been dipped too deeply into the ink. But she was very proud of that.

‘”If the urn will not sing,” said she, “outside the door hangs a nightingale in a cage who will sing.”

‘”I don’t think it’s proper,” said the kettle, “that such a foreign bird should be heard.”

‘”Oh, let us have some acting,” said everyone. “Do let us!”

‘Suddenly the door opened and the maid came in. Everyone was quite quiet. There was not a sound. But each pot knew what he might have done, and how grand he was.

‘The maid took the matches and lit the fire with them. How they spluttered and flamed, to be sure! “Now everyone can see,” they thought, “that we are the grandest! How we sparkle! What a light-”

‘But here they were burnt out.’

‘That was a delightful story!’ said the sultana. ‘I quite feel myself in the kitchen with the matches. Yes, now you shall marry our daughter.’

‘Yes, indeed,’ said the sultan, ‘you shall marry our daughter on Monday.’ And they treated the young man as one of the family.

The wedding was arranged, and the night before the whole town was illuminated.

Biscuits and gingerbreads were thrown among the people, the street boys stood on tiptoe crying hurrahs and whistling through their fingers. It was all splendid.

‘Now I must also give them a treat,’ thought the merchant’s son. And so he bought rockets, crackers, and all the kinds of fireworks you can think of, put them in his trunk, and flew up with them into the air.

Whirr-r-r, how they fizzed and blazed!

All the Turks jumped so high that their slippers flew above their heads; such a splendid glitter they had never seen before.

Now they could quite well understand that it was the god of the Turks himself who was to marry the princess.

As soon as the young merchant came down again into the wood with his trunk he thought, ‘Now I will just go into the town to see how the show has taken.’

And it was quite natural that he should want to do this.

Oh! what stories the people had to tell!

Each one whom he asked had seen it differently, but they had all found it beautiful.

‘I saw the Turkish god himself,’ said one. ‘He had eyes like glittering stars, and a beard like foaming water.’

‘He flew away in a cloak of fire,’ said another. They were splendid things that he heard, and the next day was to be his wedding day.

Then he went back into the wood to sit in his trunk; but what had become of it? The trunk had been burnt. A spark of the fireworks had set it alight, and the trunk was in ashes. He could no longer fly, and could never reach his bride.

She stood the whole day long on the roof and waited; perhaps she is waiting there still.

But he wandered through the world and told stories; though they are not so merry as the one he told about the matches.
    thay đổi nội dung bởi: KenX, 17-03-2011 lúc 04:03 PM

Tham gia ngày
    Jan 2011
    Nơi Cư Ngụ
    ...giấc mơ...
    Bài gởi

Hmh, maybe this technique can help me out of this trouble! Thx bro kenx! :)
    If you love something, set it...Free!

No1 Tong Tắng HHT .•ღ Mít Sa ღ•.'s Avatar
    Tham gia ngày
    Apr 2005
    Nơi Cư Ngụ
    HeAven Of LoVE
    Bài gởi

I strongly agree with your idea Ken I used to watch ABC kid , Disney Chanel...to practise my listening as well as repeated to improved my speaking skill. Before reading your topic , I did it because I love to watch cartoon , I didnt relized it is a way of learning English. I'm sure your Speaking and listening skills will improve a lot if you keep following this way of studying

good luck :tim:
    thay đổi nội dung bởi: .•ღ Mít Sa ღ•., 27-03-2011 lúc 07:48 AM

ღ ♥ HeAven Of LღVe ♥ღ .............................. ♥ღ Chảnh Bang ♥ღ..............................♥ღ 4EverOooOBaby ♥ღ..............................

Tham gia ngày
    Oct 2009
    Bài gởi

Last time, I found out that the 2nd story is a little bit long and hard to listen all. So I'm finding some more interesting and easier stories. Thank you two for encouraging me

Tham gia ngày
    Oct 2009
    Bài gởi

Third Story: [The wicked prince]

A prince becomes all powerful, but still his priests fear God more than they do him. There is only one being left for the prince to conquer – God himself. And so he declares war on God. Hans Christian Andersen’s moral and dramatic warns against the hubris of power.

THERE lived once upon a time a wicked prince whose heart and mind were set upon conquering all the countries of the world, and on frightening the people; he devastated their countries with fire and sword, and his soldiers trod down the crops in the fields and destroyed the peasants’ huts by fire, so that the flames licked the green leaves off the branches, and the fruit hung dried up on the singed black trees. Many a poor mother fled, her naked baby in her arms, behind the still smoking walls of her cottage; but also there the soldiers followed her, and when they found her, she served as new nourishment to their diabolical enjoyments; demons could not possibly have done worse things than these soldiers! The prince was of opinion that all this was right, and that it was only the natural course which things ought to take. His power increased day by day, his name was feared by all, and fortune favoured his deeds.

He brought enormous wealth home from the conquered towns, and gradually accumulated in his residence riches which could nowhere be equalled. He erected magnificent palaces, churches, and halls, and all who saw these splendid buildings and great treasures exclaimed admiringly: “What a mighty prince!” But they did not know what endless misery he had brought upon other countries, nor did they hear the sighs and lamentations which rose up from the débris of the destroyed cities.

The prince often looked with delight upon his gold and his magnificent buildings, and thought, like the crowd: “What a mighty prince! But I must have more—much more. No power on earth must equal mine, far less exceed it.”

He made war with all his neighbours, and defeated them. The conquered kings were chained up with golden fetters to his chariot when he drove through the streets of his city. These kings had to kneel at his and his courtiers’ feet when they sat at table, and live on the morsels which they left. At last the prince had his own statue erected on the public places and fixed on the royal palaces; nay, he even wished it to be placed in the churches, on the altars, but in this the priests opposed him, saying: “Prince, you are mighty indeed, but God’s power is much greater than yours; we dare not obey your orders.”

“Well,” said the prince. “Then I will conquer God too.” And in his haughtiness and foolish presumption he ordered a magnificent ship to be constructed, with which he could sail through the air; it was gorgeously fitted out and of many colours; like the tail of a peacock, it was covered with thousands of eyes, but each eye was the barrel of a gun. The prince sat in the centre of the ship, and had only to touch a spring in order to make thousands of bullets fly out in all directions, while the guns were at once loaded again. Hundreds of eagles were attached to this ship, and it rose with the swiftness of an arrow up towards the sun. The earth was soon left far below, and looked, with its mountains and woods, like a cornfield where the plough had made furrows which separated green meadows; soon it looked only like a map with indistinct lines upon it; and at last it entirely disappeared in mist and clouds. Higher and higher rose the eagles up into the air; then God sent one of his numberless angels against the ship. The wicked prince showered thousands of bullets upon him, but they rebounded from his shining wings and fell down like ordinary hailstones. One drop of blood, one single drop, came out of the white feathers of the angel’s wings and fell upon the ship in which the prince sat, burnt into it, and weighed upon it like thousands of hundredweights, dragging it rapidly down to the earth again; the strong wings of the eagles gave way, the wind roared round the prince’s head, and the clouds around—were they formed by the smoke rising up from the burnt cities?—took strange shapes, like crabs many, many miles long, which stretched their claws out after him, and rose up like enormous rocks, from which rolling masses dashed down, and became fire-spitting dragons.

The prince was lying half-dead in his ship, when it sank at last with a terrible shock into the branches of a large tree in the wood.

“I will conquer God!” said the prince. “I have sworn it: my will must be done!”

And he spent seven years in the construction of wonderful ships to sail through the air, and had darts cast from the hardest steel to break the walls of heaven with. He gathered warriors from all countries, so many that when they were placed side by side they covered the space of several miles. They entered the ships and the prince was approaching his own, when God sent a swarm of gnats—one swarm of little gnats. They buzzed round the prince and stung his face and hands; angrily he drew his sword and brandished it, but he only touched the air and did not hit the gnats. Then he ordered his servants to bring costly coverings and wrap him in them, that the gnats might no longer be able to reach him. The servants carried out his orders, but one single gnat had placed itself inside one of the coverings, crept into the prince’s ear and stung him. The place burnt like fire, and the poison entered into his blood. Mad with pain, he tore off the coverings and his clothes too, flinging them far away, and danced about before the eyes of his ferocious soldiers, who now mocked at him, the mad prince, who wished to make war with God, and was overcome by a single little gnat.

Tham gia ngày
    Oct 2008
    Nơi Cư Ngụ
    >>"nowhere"<<
    Bài gởi

that was a brilliant idea Ken
    because even in the contry where i m living now they're doing the same way
    and you know what? English is the naitive language here
    so best of luck to the learnesr and teaher as well
    and keep going Ken YOU ARE A STAR
    Everybody’s got a price;
    When the sale comes first